Clearwater (10-14) lost to Tampa, 7-6.
Julian Garcia (2.29) scattered 5 hits over five innings of shutout ball. He walked none and struck out six. And then, Gustavo Armas (1-1, 15.30) entered the game. And, blew the save. Luis Carrasco (8.49) came in and picked off an inherited runner and pitched the final 2.2 innings, giving up one run on 4 hits and 4 walks while striking out three.
More on Armas. He entered with a 3-0 lead (and a 10.24 ERA and 2.59 WHIP). His inning went like this –
- single (run scored)
- walk (bases loaded, nobody out) – mound visit
- ground-rule double, 2 runs scored, game tied, save blown, (good talk, coach)
- fielder’s choice – runner on third tagged out by Armas in rundown
- 3-run home run (Tampa taked 6-3 lead)
- triple (pitching substitution, finally)
- Armas’ runner on third is picked off by catcher Colby Fitch
- His ERA rose to 15.30, his WHIP to 3.20, and opposing batters are batting .500 against him on the season.
The Threshers scored a run in the first inning on Jhailyn ortiz’ RBI single. They scored twice in the fourth on Matt Vierling’s 2-run HR (3). They fell short with 3 runs in the ninth on Ben Aklinski’s RBI double, Jose Gomez’ RBI single, and Dalton Guthrie’s sac fly.
The Threshers collected 11 hits. Jose Gomez (.348) extended his hitting streak to nine games. He went 3-3 with a walk, double, and RBI.
Madison Stokes (.304) had 2 hits.
Vierling (.305) went 1-3 with a walk, 2-run HR (3), and stolen base (5).
(Back to the Complex this week. Away game on Monday, home on Tuesday. Threshers return to Spectrum Field Friday.)
- #5 Spencer Howard (1-1, 2.25)
- #11 Jhailyn Ortiz (.200) went 1-5 with an RBI
- #12 Simon Muzziotti (.259)
- #17 Kyle Young (1-3, 4.29)
- #18 Nick Maton (.246)
- #19 Rodolfo Duran (.152)
- #20 Daniel Brito (.170) went 1-4 with a run scored
Lehigh Valley (16-6) walked off against Buffalo, 6-5.
Nick Pivetta (3.75) pitched six, 3-hit innings. He gave up one run, walked three, and struck out fourteen. Kyle Dohy (54.00) faced 3 batters in the seventh and walked all three. Tyler Gilbert (0.00) entered an allowed all 3 inherited runners to score. (He got a Hold. What kind of BS stat is that? I know what a Hold is, but seriously, just because he didn’t lose the lead he gets a Hold?) Austin Davis (0.64) gave up a run in 1.1 innings and blew the save. Edgar Garcia (1-1, 2.08) got the last 2 outs with strike outs for the win.
Lehigh gave Pivetta an early lead with 4 runs in the first inning on Rob Brantly’s RBI single and Mitch Walding’s 3-run HR (4). They added a run in the fourth on Shane Robinson’s RBI single. Andrew Romine’s RBI single in the ninth gave them their walk off win.
The IronPigs collected 13 hits. Brantly (.405) had 3 hits. Robinson (.362), Walding (.210), and Matt McBride (.300) had 2 hits each.
- #6 Enyel De Los Santos (2-0, 2.81) – recalled to Philadelphia
- #7 JoJo Romero (1-1, 8.83)
- #10 Ranger Suarez (2-1, 5.64)
- #16 Cole Irvin (2-0, 1.14)
- #22 Kyle Dohy (0-1, 54.00) – 0.0 IP. 0 H, 3 H, 3 R, 3 ER, 3 BB, 0 K
- #28 Edgar Garcia (1-1, 2.08) – 0.2 IP, 0 H, 0 R, 0 ER, 0 BB, 2 K
Reading (11-8) beat New Hampshire, 2-1, in 11 innings.
Ramon Rosso (0.89) scattered 7 hits over five innings. He allowed one run, walked one, and struck out six. Four relievers combined to keep the Fisher Cats off the board the rest of the way. Aaron brown (5.25) pitched a no-hit inning. J.D. Hammer (0.73) struck out 3 in two innings. Luke Leftwich (0.00) tossed another scoreless inning. And, Jeff Singer (0.00) successfully navigated two extra inning with the OT runner starting on second base to earn the win.
Austin Bossart’s sacrifice fly in the eighth inning finally took Rosso off the hook for the loss. Luke Williams’ RBI double in the 11th plated Bossart for the walk off win.
Williams (.263) double was the third hit for Reading. Mickey Moniak (triple) and Raul Rivas (single) had the other 2 hits. Williams and Rivas also successfully stole bases.
The Phils turned 3 double plays and Moniak had an outfield assist (at third base).
- #2 Adonis Medina (0-0, 3.00)
- #3 Adam Haseley (.172) went 0-4
- #9 Mickey Moniak (.203) went 1-4
- #13 Arquimedes Gamboa (.105) went 0-4
- #15 Mauricio Llovera (1-0, 2.51)
- #21 David Parkinson (2-1, 4.02)
- #22 Kyle Dohy (2-0, 0.82) – promoted to Lehigh Valley
- #25 Cornelius Randolph (.229) – on the 7-day IL
- #29 Connor Seabold – on the 7-day IL
Lakewood (8-16) lost to Hickory, 10-3.
Francisco Morales lost his second game. He gave up 4 runs in three innings. He walked none and struck out five but gave up 3 long balls. Tyler Carr (0.90) pitched an inning and gave up 2 unearned runs on 2 walks and a hit. Victor Santos (3.43) pitched three innings and gave up 4 runs. Another piggy back situation. Oscar Marcelino (3.86) struck out the side.
Lakewood didn’t score until they trailed by six runs. They scored 3 runs in the fifth inning on Jonathan Guzman’s RBI single and Rafael Marchan’s 2-run single.
Rafael Marchan had 2 hits. Luis Garcia was moved down to seventh in the batting order.
Alec Bohm was not in the line up. It’s only the second game he has missed. His first off day was April 17th. All affiliates were off on April 21st (Easter). (Clearwater is off on Monday and in Fort Myers on Tuesday. Just sayin’)
- #1 Alec Bohm (.367)
- #4 Luis Garcia (.195) went 0-4
- #8 Francisco Morales (0-2, 7.02) – 3.0 IP, 5 H, 4 R, 4 ER, 0 BB, 5 K, 3 HR
- #14 Rafael Marchan (.300) went 2-4 with 2 RBI
- #23 Dominic Pipkin (1-1, 4.41)
- #24 Kevin Gowdy (1.84)
- #26 Jhordany Mezquita (1-2, 7.71)
- #27 Starlyn Castillo
- #30 Manuel Silva
Williamsport begins its 2019 season on June 14th.
GCL Phillies East begins its 2019 season on June 24th.
GCL Phillies West begins its 2019 season on June 24th.
DSL Phillies Red begins its 2019 season on June 2nd.
DSL Phillies White begins its 2019 season on June 2nd.
Here’s the affiliate scoreboard from MiLB.
The rosters and lists are up to date as of April 28th (and are pointing to current files).
4/28/2019 – Clearwater activated LHP Zach Warren from the 7-day IL
4/28/2019 – RHP Victor Santos assigned to Lakewood from Williamsport
4/28/2019 – RHP Francisco Morales assigned to Lakewood from Williamsport
4/28/2019 – Grant Dyer assigned to Williamsport from Clearwater
4/28/2019 – Gustavo Armas assigned to Clearwater from Williamsport
4/28/2019 – Jhordany Mezquita assigned to Williamsport from Lakewood
4/28/2019 – Dominic Pipkin assigned to Williamsport from Lakewood
4/28/2019 – Seth McGarry assigned to Williamsport from Clearwater
4/27/2019 – Phillies optioned RF Dylan Cozens to Lehigh Valley
4/27/2019 – Andrew Brown assigned to Clearwater from Williamsport
4/27/2019 – 2B Hunter Stovall assigned to Lakewood