No sense recapping the past week. I’m sure that you don’t need my observations to stir up discussion below.
This is the Phuture Phillies Open Discussion for baseball topics.
With the end of the minor league seasons, I’ll start off season programming. I’ve already posted the results of the first post season polls. There was a considerable drop in participation. So much so that if I hadn’t spent so much time creating the other polls, I would seriously consider not posting them. Since they’re done though, I’ll run them in one or two posts this week when the Instructs games are on the road.
Looks like we aren’t going to have a post-season top thirty. So far I haven’t received even one response. (I had requested that if you e-mail your personal season-ending top 30 to me at prospectpoll @yahoo.com, I would compile and report back, IF I got enough responses to make it worthwhile. Looks like there’s no interest.)
I’ve begun the Key Dates section (below). It includes transactional dates, contract dates, dates dependent on the end of the world series, dates that haven’t been announced yet, and spring training and Instructs game dates.
Rosters and Lists have been moved over from the Recaps as well as Transactions. I’m thinking about adding the links to my Rosters and Lists to the menu bar above. I’m also considering an overhaul of the menu bar as well as changing the banner photo back to the original since all the guys depicted have moved up or on.
I’ll revive the Organizational Changes section to follow the myriad of changes expected during the off season. I’ll do not quite daily reports from Instructs for the next three weeks. And, I may do something with the winter leagues.
I pulled the breakout players post and I expect to do an article on how that went. I’ve also posted a 40-man roster article that includes free agency, Rule 5 eligibility, and remaining options.
And then, right after Christmas, I’ll start our annual Readers’ Top 30.
Key Dates (some dates become set with the conclusion of the World Series):
- September 24 – v. Toronto
- September 25 – at Baltimore
- September 26 – at Pittsburgh
- September 27 – Camp Day
- September 28 – v. Pittsburgh
- September 29 – Camp Day
- September 30 – Sunday Off Day
- October 1 – at Pittsburgh
- October 2 – v. Baltimore
- October 3 – Camp Day
- October 4 – at Baltimore
- October 5 – v. Atlanta
- October 6 – v. Baltimore
- October 7 – Sunday Off Day
- October 8 – at Atlanta
- October 9 – v. New York
- October 9 – Arizona Fall League Starts
- October 10 – Camp Day
- October 11 – at New York
- October 12 – v. New York
- October 12, 2018 – Opening Day for the Mexican Winter League (MPL)
- October 12, 2018 – Opening Day for the Venezuelan Winter League (LVBP)
- October 13, 2018 – Opening Day for the Dominican Winter League (LIDOM)
- October 22, 2018 – Opening Day for the Nicaraguan Winter League (LNBP)
- October 15, 2017 or on the fifth day following the last day of the World Series, whichever is later, of the last year of a player’s Minor League Uniform Player Contract, the player’s Minor League Uniform Player Contract shall expire and the player shall become a ‘Minor League free agent’ unless the player’s Major or Minor League club has remaining options to renew the contract. (Major League Rule 55)
- According to Major League Rule 3(b), “All Minor League Uniform Player Contracts between either a Major or a Minor League Club and a player who has not previously signed a contract with a Major or a Minor League Club shall be for a term of seven Minor League playing seasons.”
- The day after the last game of the World Series, 9:00 AM – “Following the completion of the term of his Uniform Player’s Contract, any Player with 6 or more years of Major League service who has not executed a contract for the next succeeding season shall become a free agent.” Organizations began an exclusive five-day negotiation window (referred to as “the quiet period” in the CBA) with their own free agents. During “the quiet period” any Club representative and any free agent or his representative may talk with each other and discuss the merits of the free agent contracting, when eligible; provided that the Club and the free agent shall not negotiate terms or contract with each other. The following subjects are among those which may properly be discussed between any Club and such Player:
- (i) the Player’s interest in playing for the Club, and the Club’s interest in having the Player play for it;
- (ii) the Club’s plans about how it intends to utilize the Player’s services (as a starting pitcher or reliever, as a designated hitter or not, platooning, etc.);
- (iii) the advantages and disadvantages of playing for the Club including the nature of the organization, the climate of the city, availability of suitable housing, etc.;
- (iv) length of contract;
- (v) guarantee provisions; and
- (vi) no-trade or limited no-trade provisions.
- Notwithstanding the foregoing, the free agent and his former Club may engage in negotiations and enter into a contract during “the quiet period”.
- The fifth day after the last game of the World Series, 5:00 PM – Deadline for organizations to submit qualifying offers to their free agents. Last year’s QO was $17.4M.
- This is also the deadline for organizations to exercise any club/mutual options.
- November TBA – GM meetings.
- The fifth day after the last game of the World Series – Free agents become eligible to sign with any team.
- Tenth day after the end of “the quiet period”, 5:00 PM – Deadline for players to accept/reject qualifying offers. Those who decline will become free agents.
- November 2, 2018 – Opening Day for the Columbian Winter League (LCBP)
- November 15, 2018 – Opening Day for the Puerto Rican Winter League (LBPRC)
- November 15, 2018 – Opening Day for the Australian Baseball League (ABL)
- November 20, 2018 – Deadline for roster expansion to 40 players prior to the Rule 5 draft.
- November 26-29: MLBPA Executive Board Meeting, Dallas, TX
- December 2, 2018, 8:00 PM EST – Deadline for teams to tender contracts to unsigned players on their 40-man rosters, including arbitration-eligible players. Non-tendered players become free agents. Tendered players who are arbitration eligible who do not accept the tender proceed to the arbitration process in February.
- December 9-13, 2018 – Winter Meetings in Las Vegas, Nevada
- December 13, 2018 – Rule 5 draft.
- TBA – (last year on January 9th) – Salary arbitration filing deadline
- TBA – (last year on January 12th) – Salary arbitration figures exchanged
- TBA – (last year on January 29th – February 16th) – Salary arbitration hearings
- TBA – (last year on February 14) – pitchers and catchers report to Spring Training (tentative: report on 2/13, first work out 2/14)
- TBA – (last year on February 19) – all other players report for full squad workouts (tentative: report on 2/18, first work out 2/19)
- February 22, 2019 – Phillies’ 2019 spring training opener at Tampa Bay (TBD)
- February 23, 2019 – Phillies’ 2019 spring home opener v. Pittsburgh (1:05 PM)
- February 24, 2019 – at Detroit (1:05 PM)
- February 25, 2019 – v. Detroit (1:05 PM)
- TBA – (last year on February 27th) – tentative start of minor league spring training.
- February 26, 2019 – at NY Yankees (TBD)
- February 27, 2019 – v. Minnesota (1:05 PM)
- February 28, 2019 – Split Squad v. Baltimore (1:05 PM), at Toronto (1:07 PM)
- March 1, 2019 – v. Pittsburgh (1:05 PM)
- March 2, 2019 – at Tampa Bay (TBD)
- March 3, 2019 – at Minnesota (1:05 PM)
- March 4, 2019 – off day
- March 5, 2019 – v. St. Louis (1:05 PM)
- March 6, 2019 – at Toronto (1:07 PM)
- March 7, 2019 – Split Squad v. NY Yankees (1:05 PM), at Detroit (1:05 PM)
- March 8, 2019 – at Atlanta (6:05 PM)
- March 9, 2019 – v. Toronto (1:05 PM)
- March 10, 2019 – at Baltimore (TBD)
- March 11, 2019 – v. Tampa Bay (1:05 PM)
- March 12, 2019 – off day
- March 13, 2019 – at NY Yankees (TBD)
- March 14, 2019 – Split Squad at Pittsburgh (1:05 PM), at Tampa Bay (TBD)
- March 15, 2019 – v. Toronto
- March 16, 2019 – v. Houston
- March 17, 2019 – v. NY Yankees (ss)
- March 18, 2019 – at St. Louis
- March 19, 2019 – at Houston
- March 20, 2019 – v. Detroit
- March 21, 2019 – v. Toronto
- March 22, 2019 – at NY Yankees
- March 23, 2019 – at Pittsburgh (ss)
- March 24, 2019 – v. Baltimore (ss)
- March 25, 2019 – v. Tampa Bay
- March 28, 2019 – Phillies’ 2019 season home opener v. Atlanta (3:05)
The rosters and lists are up to date as of September 23rd.