Will Stewart started and was able to limit the damage but was hit pretty hard. He gave up 8 hits and a walk in 5 innings. He sat at 92-94 topping out at 96 (stadium gun). Off-speed pitches were in the 84-86 range. Here is the batter by batter log:
- 5-3 Chopper/Single right inside the third base bag (wide open area due to the shift put on the lefty batter)/Flyout to CF/Hard Ground Single past Nieporte at 1B/Lined RBI single into RF/4-3 Chopper
- Hard Single to CF/4-3 groundout- close to 1B so runner moved to 2nd/4-3 groundout- nice sliding play by Brito/6-3- nice play by Antequera, charged behind the mound and threw on the run
- Infield single- Nieporte dove and didn’t come up with the ball which was a mistake because due to the shift the ball went right to Brito who threw to Stewart covering first, but the runner beat it. Had Nieporte let the ball go, it was an easy out/Hard ground single up the middle/ 5-4 FC/ Two swinging K’s- Nice work by Stewart to pitch out of the jam.
- Routine 6-3/Swinging bunt single that the catcher (Fitch) airmailed into RF (good back-up by Ortiz kept runner at 1st)/6-3 ground double play (stepped on 2nd, threw to 1st)
- 6-3 Groundout/Swinging K/5 pitch walk/Line single into LF/4-3 Groundout.
Luis Cedeno came in and got blown up for 5 runs over 1 1/3. He did hit 97 on the gun. Ismael Cabrera came on in the 7th and retired the only 2 batters he faced to finish the game.
It was night and day (ironic since game 2 started at 7 after game 1 started at 5) on offense. The Claws put up 11 hits and scored 12 runs. It was the Daniel Brito show who led off and went 4-4 with 3 singles each followed by a steal of 2nd and a double.
Brito: 4-4, Infield single (2nd baseman made a diving stop but threw wide), stole second/Served a single into LF, stole second, Bloop Single over the second baseman’s head, stole second/Lined RBI Double to RC
Vierling: Was excited to see him for the first time, but he did not have a good game, 2 K’s, popout, easy 6-3 groundout
Maton: 1-3 with a BB (lined triple into RC gap), Hard hit groundout to 1B, swinging K
Oriz: Great game! 2-4, Reached on an error by 3B /2-Run Homer- bounced off the top of the metal fence above the LC wall and caromed into the berm/Flyout to CF/Drilled a Double over the LF head that one-hopped the wall
Scheniner: 1-2, Walk/Swinging K/4 pitch Walk/2 run opposite field Double into RC gap
Fitch: 1-3, Swinging K/ Line single into right/Walk/Swinging K
Nieporte: 1-3, 2 run double into RC/Swinging K/Walk/6-3 (Deep in the hole- called out on a bang bang play at 1st)
Stephen: 1-3, Worked a walk from a 1-2 count/Ripped a liner into RC that was caught by CF/Unassisted RBI Groundout to 1B after stepping on the bag, he threw home late and a run scored/Ripped an RBI double down the RF line
Antequera: 0-2, two 6-3’s, 5 pitch walk/Sac Fly to Medium RF