Thursday afternoon, the GCL Phillies completed a two-game sweep of the GCL Blue Jays and extended their lead over their division rivals to two games. It took 53 minutes to complete an inning-and-a-half, but by then the outcome was no longer in doubt as the Phillies had built a 7-0 lead.
LHP Jose Jimenez was the beneficiary of the offensive largesse, and used his tailing fastball and off speed pitches to keep the Jays off balance and protect the lead. Jimenez shut the Jays down for four innings on a single, 2 walks, 4 K, and 53 pitches. He minimized the damage in a 22-pitch 5th inning to 2 runs, and finished with 2 runs in five innings on 4 hits, 3 walks, 5 K, and 77 pitches.
Jimenez throws a FB, CB, CH. His FB was in the 88-92 MPH range, but sat 88-90 MPH after the third inning. His CB was 71-78 MPH and his CH was 82-86 MPH.
Justin Miller came in to pitch two innings of shutout ball. He allowed 2 hits and a walk, and struck out a batter. Miller throws a FB, CB, ands CH. His FB ranged 85-90 MPH and sat 87-88 MPH. His CB was 73-78 MPH. No data on his CH.
Rafael Caravajal pitched the final two innings. He faced 8 batters as the Jays got 2 base runners via fielding errors. He allowed no hits, no runs, struck out a batter, and threw 35 pitches. He throws a FB and SL. His FB was 89-92 MPH, sitting 90-91 MPH. His SL runs 76-80 MPH.
The Phillies scored a run in the top of the first on Kevin Markham’s hard-hit, leadoff single back through the box; Jake Holmes hard, line drive double to left field, and Quincy Nieporte’s sacrifice fly. After Jimenez struck out the side in the bottom of the first inning, the Phillies pushed six runs across in the second inning.
Danny Mayer led off with a walk, D.J. Stewart ground a ball through the hole into left field for a single, and Gunnar Buhner walked to load the bases with nobody out. Markham started the parade around the bases with a hard grounder that the first baseman couldn’t glove cleanly and then couldn’t beat Markham to the bag for an E3F and RBI. Holmes lined a drive to left to plate another run. Jonathan Guzman lined a single to right field to plate a third run. And, Nieporte walked to force in yet another run. Ben Pelletier brought the party to an end with a double to left field that the wind forced down on the warning track. Two runs scored, but Nieporte was tagged out at third after being obstructed by the shortstop. Coach De Armas went crazy on the ump but couldn’t get the call overturned or himself thrown out of the game.
The Phillies continued to hit the ball hard and get base runners (they drew 9 walks), but couldn’t score again until the eighth inning. Markham lifted a flare over the shortstop for a single to lead off the eighth. Holmes followed with a line drive single to center. After a ground out, Nieporte stroked an RBI single to center. Pelletier brought home their final run with a ground single up the middle. Mayer greeted a new pitcher with a single to load the bases, but their scoring was finished.
In the ninth, Buhner doubled over the left fielder’s head but was stranded.
A lot of guys were able to put up impressive numbers Thursday with the Phillies 13-hit, 9-walk attack. Holmes had 3 hits. Markham, Nieporte, and Pelletier had 2 hits each. Nieporte and Pelletier had 3 RBI each. Mayer drew 3 walks. At the top of the order, Markham scored 2 runs, Holmes scored three.
Markham also had an outfield assist (third base).
The Phillies will now play 6 games against the somewhat weaker Northeast Division, starting with a home-and-home in Tampa against the Yankees East. Then 8 division games including 4 against the Blue Jays.
I made a late edit to yesterday’s report that early readers may not have seen. Roy Halladay is back at the Complex. He came out of the clubhouse Wednesday and watched a little of the game before going back inside. We can hope that he has been and/or is working with our young pitchers. It wouldn’t surprise me based on the improvement I’ve noticed from the start of the season.
I hope you enjoy this update. I expect to provide coverage for the Phillies as they continue their playoff push. I have turned off comments for this article.
- Muzziotti (.286): DNP
- Guzman (.262): went 1-6 with a run scored, RBI, 2 K
- Pelletier (.324): went 2-5 with 3 RBI (24)
- Gonzalez (.283): DNP
- Marchan (.258): DNP
- Bocio (.297): DNP
- Guthrie (1.000): DNP
- (#9) Zoellner (.143): DNP
- (#11) Holmes (.263): went 3-5 with 2 runs scored, double, RBI, BB
- (#24) Markham (.190): went 2-5 with 3 runs scored, RBI, BB
- (#26) Nieporte (.325): went 2-3 with a double, 3 RBI (25), BB, SF
- (#31) Mayer (.253): went 1-2 with a run scored, 3 BB
- (#39) Stewart (.219): went 1-4 with a run scored, BB, 3 K
- Jimenez (2-1, 4.73): 5.0 IP, 4 H, 2 R, 2 ER, 3 BB, 5 K
- Rosario (1-2, 4.50):
- Silva (5-0, 2.93):
- Morales (1-2, 3.41):
- Sobil (3-1, 3.67):
- (#5) Lindow (2-1, 1.64):
- (#8) Mezquita (1-0, 1.01):
- Kuznetsov (2-0, 0.42):
- Carvajal (2-2, 1.83): 2.0 IP, 0 H, 0 R,0 ER, 0 BB, 1 K
- Miller (1-2, 5.51): 2.0 IP, 2 H, 0 R, 0 ER, 1 BB, 1 K
- (#21) Hernandez (1-0, 0.00):
- (#29) Cummings (0-0, 10.13):
- (#32) Santa Cruz (1-1, 6.00):
- (#33) B. Brown (0-0, 1.50):
Here’s the affiliate scoreboard from MiLB.
- 8/17 – CF Carlos Tocci assigned to Lehigh Valley from Reading
- 8/17 – SS Zach Green assigned to Reading from Clearwater
- 8/17 – Clearwater activated 3B Jose Antequera from the 7-Day DL
- 8/17 – Clearwater activated RHP Edgar Garcia from the 7-Day DL
- 8/17 – LHP McKenzie Mills assigned to Williamsport from Clearwater
- 8/16 – Phillies optioned RHP Nick Pivetta to Lehigh Valley IronPigs
- 8/16 – Dalton Guthrie assigned to GCL Phillies from Williamsport Crosscutters
- 8/16 – OF Yahir Gurrola assigned to Williamsport Crosscutters from GCL Phillies
- 8/15 – Phillies placed LF Daniel Nava on the 10-day disabled list retroactive to August 12, 2017. Lower back strain.
- 8/15/- Phillies recalled CF Cameron Perkins from Lehigh Valley IronPigs
- 8/15 – SS Angelo Mora assigned to Lehigh Valley IronPigs from Reading Fightin Phils
- 8/15 – RHP Adonis Medina assigned to Williamsport Crosscutters from Lakewood BlueClaws
- 8/14 – OF Adam Haseley assigned to Lakewood from Williamsport
- 8/13 – Phillies sent RHP Casey Fien on a rehab assignment to Clearwater Threshers
- The organization’s rosters are up to date.
- The organization’s injury list is as up to date as I can make it.
- The organization’s Rule 5 eligibility list is as accurate as I can make it based on the information I was able to find.