Here’s an open discussion thread so the minor league posts don’t get cluttered with Phillies’ talk and other topics.
- Well, the waiting is over. Todd Zolecki reports that the Phillies are set to introduce their new GM at a press conference Monday morning. Angels assistant GM, Matt Klentak, was among the early favorites to fill the position and among the three finalists. He was selected over A’s assistant GM Dan Kantrovitz and Rays VP of baseball operations Chaim Bloom. Klentak was hired by MacPhail as the Orioles Director of Baseball Operations in 2008. From there he signed with the Angels on November 23, 2011. His baseball duties included scouting, player development, and contract negotiations. It’s unlikely that he was involved much in the December 8, 2011 FA signings of Albert Pujols (10 years/$240M; 2012-21) and C.J. Wilson (5 years/$77.5M; 2012-16). But, he was certainly involved in the FA signing of Josh Hamilton (5 years/$125M; 2013-17), the Mike Trout extension (6 years/$144.5M; 2015-20), and the Hamilton trade to Texas where the Angels are still responsible for all but about $6M of Hamilton’s salary.
- The Phillies added two new coaches to their staff this week. Rick Kranitz will be the bullpen coach and John McLaren will be the catching coach. The Phillies are still waiting for Larry Bowa and Juan Samuel to sort out their options. And they are expected to add one other coach to complete their staff.
- The Boston Globe’s Nick Cafardo reported that the Red Sox were about to sign Ruben Amaro as their first base coach. MLB Trade Rumors updated the report that a decision hasn’t been reached and that Amaro is among a few finalists. The Phillies don’t play the Sox during the 2016 season, so you’ll have to come to Clearwater to see him face the Phillies in a Grapefruit League game if he does sign.
- The World Series starts Tuesday. I didn’t see many innings during the playoffs. I found the relentless droning of the national announcers along with the few MLB TV talking heads they add to the coverage tedious. I did see the 2-1 strike called on Ben Revere in the ninth inning of game six in KC. I don’t blame Ben for being mad.
- CBSSports.com reported that Carlos Tocci broke his left hand when he was struck by a pitched ball. He was off th a good start hitting .333/.447/.400/.847 in 39 PA. He had walked 4 times and struck out only 3 times. He’ll be out about 6 weeks.
- Tocci is the Phillies top hitter in the VWL. Cord Sandberg is their top guy in the ABL hitting .444/.545/.556/1.101 and Aaron Brown is their top guy in the AFL hitting .364/.364/.455/.818. Malquin Canelo’s .250 leads the Phillies’ hitters in the DWL.