I listened to Aaron Nola’s outing on Baysox radio. Brad was actually there, and posted his observations in the Box Score Recap. Here’s what I charted during the game.
- 5 IP, 5 H, 2 R, 2 ER, 2 BB, 2 K
- 21 batters, 14 first pitch strikes
- 79 pitches, 50 strikes
- 5 swinging strikes, 13 called strikes, 15 fouls, 17 balls in play
- both strike outs were of the swing-and-miss variety
- 6 ground ball outs, 4 fly ball outs, 2 pop ups, 5 singles
- 2 line drive singles, 1 ground ball single, 2 bunt singles
- 2 of the fly ball outs were line drives
- the radio announcers only mentioned his velo once at 91 mph
- I saw Twitter reports of 92-93 with spikes to 95 and one at 96
- he got no decision and left with the score tied 2-2
I would categorize this as another good outing. These are still uncharted waters for his arm. Even with inning’s limits and pitch counts, he is continuing a starting pitcher’s workout regimen much further into the summer than he ever has.