Recap: Lakewood went 4-2 on the week, losing the first two, then winning four straight against Greenville and Greensboro. They are currently 21-16, 1.5 GB of Hickory in the SAL North. Lots of noteworthy performances this week with Jonathan Singleton homering in his SAL debut and another pair of great starts by Nick Hernandez, including a near no-no on Sunday afternoon.
Hitters: Lots going on in Lakewood, so I’m going to switch formats a bit and give a straight stat dump followed up with some select tidbits:
- Jeremy Barnes: 4-19, 3 runs scored, 2 RBI
- Adam Buschini: 6-19, 2 2B, 3 RBI, 2 SB
- Leandro Castro: 5-26, 2B, 3B, HR, 8 RBI
- Anthony Hewitt: 3-17, 2 2B, RBI, 9K/1BB
- Jiwan James: 8-25, 4 RBI, 2 SB
- Darin Ruf: 5-8, 3B, HR, 2 RBI (promoted to Clearwater)
- Domingo Santana: 4-17, 2B, RBI, SB, 6K/2BB
- Jonathan Singleton: 6-17, 2 HR, 3 RBI
- Sebastian Valle: 3-24, 4 RBI
- Jonathan Villar: 11-25, 4 RBI, 4 SB, 2 E
Jonathan Villar hit in all six games this week (10 straight overall), including 7 hits in two days. He is also up to 11 errors at SS…Castro’s HR was a grand slam that broke a 4-4 tie in Friday’s game…Darin Ruf left the BlueClaws in style, putting up a 5-5 game in his last appearance before being promoted. He left among the SAL’s Top 10 in Avg., OBP, and SLG, and was second in the league in OPS prior to his promotion…Sebastian Valle has seen his average drop to .203 and Anthony Hewitt is down to .237...Jiwan James made two highlight reel catches in Sunday’s game…’Claws among the league leaders: Barnes (T-5th BB), Buschini (T-6th R, T-4th 2B, T-5th 3B), Castro (2nd 3B), Hewitt (2nd K), Santana (4th BB, 1st K), Villar (T-10th K).
Pitchers: Solid starts across the board, save for another disaster from Brody Colvin and a six-walk outing by Jon Pettibone. Hernandez and Cosart were much more than solid.
- Nick Hernandez: 15 IP, 4 H, 1 ER, 12 K, 2 BB, 7.2 hitless on Sunday before allowing solo HR
- Jarred Cosart: 6 IP, 3 H, 1 ER, 10 K, 0 BB
- Colby Shreve: 5.1 IP (all in relief of Colvin), 2 H, 0 ER, 3 K, 2 BB
- Brody Colvin: 1.2 IP, 7 H, 7 R, 5 ER, 1K, 1 BB
- Jon Pettibone: 5 IP, 6 H, 4 ER, 2 K, 6 BB
- Matt Way: 5 IP, 3 H, 2 ER, 3 K, 2 BB
- Zosh Zeid: 3.1 IP, 3 H, 2 ER, 5 K, 2 BB, 2 SV
Hernandez has allowed 2 ER in his last 28 IP over four starts (0.64 ERA). He ranks 4th in the SAL in ERA, 1st in IP, 2nd in K, and 2nd in WHIP…Jarred Cosart is striking out 11.6 batters per nine innings, and his strikeout-walk ratio is over 7/1. He’s tied for 2nd in wins, tied for 6th in K, and 8th in WHIP…Brody Colvin has an 8.40 ERA and a 2-5 record. This was his second start of the season of less than 2 IP and more than 7 R…Josh Zeid is tied for 4th in the league in saves.