Just some random tidbits to start off your Monday
* Antonio Bastardo made his AA debut this weekend, and the results weren’t bad; 5.2 IP — 1 ER — 5 H — 3 BB — 4 K.
* Josh Outman’s first bullpen experience didn’t go quite as well; 3.1 IP — 2 ER — 4 H — 2 BB — 2 K
* Lou Marson is 7 for his last 17, and for the season is hitting .329. Marson is clearly the best catching prospect we’ve had since Mike Lieberthal, and frankly, is the first guy I check on every morning in the box scores. If he continues to hit, we’re looking at a special prospect here.
* Drew Naylor had arguably his best professional appearance yesterday, going 8 innings and allowing 1 ER on 5 hits, while walking 1 and striking out 11. Naylor has pitched well at Lakewood and probably should be moved up to Clearwater in the next month or so, as he is 21 going on 22 (May 31st) and needs to pitch against more advanced competition. But so far so good.
* Travis Mattair, who hasn’t gotten off to the best of starts at Lakewood, now has 5 hits in his last 13 AB’s. This might not seem significant, but he’s been in the high .100′s all season, and is now hitting .212. He still isn’t showing power, but if he begins to hit a little bit, he’ll start making adjustments and the power should come. He’s very young for Lakewood, so holding his head above water is the big thing. His last 3 games are a pretty good sign, as far as I’m concerned.